UPDATE JUNE 2015: Get the 21 Day Fix for just $10 when you order Shakeology! Click here!
They say it takes three weeks to form a habit. (Who is this infamous ‘they’, anyway?) It just so happens that three weeks is 21 days, which is exactly how long this workout/nutrition plan lasts. What kind of habits will you form by the end?
What is 21 Day Fix?
21 Day Fix is workout & nutrition program designed by Autumn Calabrese for Beachbody. She’s a fitness model, bikini competitor and one all around bad ass chick. I’m telling you, follow her on Instagram or Facebook for some super inspiration. She’s always posting real life workout selfies, photos of what she packs for her kid’s lunch, and even how she takes a break or unwinds. It’s pretty motivating to see the real life of someone with such awesome results and every day dedication.
My first reaction when I heard of 21 Day Fix was that it was not for me. I already had an established fitness routine, and I wasn’t really looking for any sort of “quick fix.” So I carried on my merry way of killing myself daily with Insanity and P90X and the like.
Then people started posting their results…
…and I thought, oh maybe I have 21 days to spare.
Who should do 21 Day Fix?
I originally thought that the 21 Day Fix was only for people who are new to working out and had some serious weight to lose. It is for you folks, but it honestly is for everyone. I say this because of the one thing that is different about this program than ALL other Beachbody programs (well, maybe except for 21 Day Fix Extreme, haha)…the NUTRITION GUIDE.
The workouts are thirty minutes long, and included a modified move for each exercise, so they are doable for everyone from beginner to advanced. You can increase your weights or speed to increase intensity if you need. But like I mentioned, the one thing that everyone can learn from is the nutrition plan for 21 Day Fix. It is based on the perfect storm combination of eating within a calorie deficit (read, less calories than your body is burning) through portion control, combined with the correct ratio of macro nutrients (carbs, proteins, fats).
I first did the 21 Day Fix in the spring of 2014 and to this day, I still use the nutrition guide. It produced the best results with the least amount of contemplating my food throughout the day. If you can’t tell, I’m super in love with it. Even if you don’t use the workouts, this program is worth it for how it will teach you to eat. It’s genius.
What are the workouts like?
The basic DVD package includes (7 workouts, all 30 minutes):
You will need a light and medium/heavy set of weights, as well as a yoga mat if you have a hard floor. You can also use a resistance band if you aren’t trying to buy dumbbells.
- Total Body Cardio Fix: Cardio with weights, the true key to carving your body. Cardio will burn calories, but weighted cardio will carve muscle at the same time.
- Cardio Fix: Interval cardio, you’ll be feeling it. I still pop this workout in when I want to add cardio to my current routine. It’s a keeper.
- Upper Fix: Weights and push-ups and burning shoulders, oh my! I love some of the dynamic moves (weighted cross body chop) in this workout. One of my favorite upper body workouts because you don’t have to push a ton of weight to get definition.
- Lower Fix: Another workout with non-traditional moves. I really love when you get a new program and it’s not just a mix of moves you’ve done a hundred times before. The floor work at the end of this one will have your quads crying. LEG DAY!
- Dirty 3o: Weights and cardio come together again for this full body workout.
- Pilates Fix: I used to do Pilates with Denise Austin on VHS back in the day. This was um, refreshing. I love the burn you feel in the booty from this workout.
- Yoga Fix: It’s still yoga, but yoga I can tolerate. A great active recovery day for your poor muscles.
- Ab Fix (10 min add on workout): This feels old school, but it hurts so good. Ten minutes long, your abs will be like PLEASE NO after just two minutes. I use this one ALL. THE. TIME.
Check out me doing some of the workouts in my YouTube review!
What about this nutrition guide you’re raving about?
The eating plan for 21 Day Fix is really the revolutionary part of the program. I had been eating healthy and as clean as I could manage while still being a real human for a long time, and it even changed my life. By following this plan, I managed to lean out in ways that eating healthy wasn’t doing for me.
I plan to post a full guide to the meal plan, but the down and dirty of it is this:
- You will determine your appropriate calorie level based on your goals (lose or maintain weight) as well as your current weight
- Color coded portion control containers are your new best friends. The guide will recommend how many servings of each color you should have during the day and it is up to you to mix that up and turn it into meals….but there are great recipes included that are tasty and make it so much easier. For instance, if the guide says you can have three green containers each day, you will fill the green container three times with foods included in the green container list (vegetables). It’s fool proof and simple!
- The real key is spreading your servings out appropriately so that you do not get cravings throughout the day. For instance, I would eat one carb at breakfast time and one at lunch time and save a red and two greens for dinner so that I could have full meals that didn’t feel like a bunch of containers shoved together.
- Eat your containers, no more…NO LESS. It is important for your body to have enough fuel to keep maximizing your workouts. Some people are not used to eating as frequently as the meal plan requires, but I encourage you to try to eat everything!
- It is fun to check your boxes throughout the day and monitor your progress.
- If you can’t tell, I really love this eating guide 🙂
In addition to the meal plan, you can choose to go the Challenge Pack route and get the workouts plus Shakeology, which helps get you set up for success with nutrition. If you want to nail your nutrition, the Challenge pack is a great way to go because you save a ton of money (I’m talking almost $100) compared to buying the program and Shakeology separately & you get access to the streaming version of the workouts.
Ok great, but what about results?
Feel free to hate on me, but I didn’t really do a solid BEFORE/AFTER for this program because I was coming right off of Insanity and was actually in pretty good shape for me. I did lean out and this was the first my abs finally decided to show up. Just goes to show, abs really are made in the
color coded containers kitchen.
I said it already, but my biggest result from this program was learning a new and super effective way to eat EVERY SINGLE DAY. In no way was I “done” after 21 days, it was only the beginning. Did I allow myself a beer after 21 days? Uh YEAH, but for day to day eating, I stayed the course. Over a year later and I’m still eating per the guide.
If you made it this far you must be interested. Want to know where to start?
As always, I encourage you to just TRY it if you are this interested. I sound like a broken record but you literally have nothing to lose by ordering it and trying it out. Beachbody offers money back guarantees on all programs, I just love that so much. You don’t have to love it, but you owe it to yourself to try. If you don’t think your health and wellness (and super awesome body) is worth trying it out, then you might not be in the right mental place to get results anyway. Put in the work, this program will meet you far more than halfway. I swear to that.
Check it out here and I will make sure you get a free BONUS Plyo workout that you don’t get from ordering directly from the site!
If you are interested in the 21 Day Fix Extreme, check out my review here.
Interested in the differences between this 21 Day Fix and the Extreme? I’ll show you!
Did you stop by here hoping to learn something that I didn’t cover? Don’t be mad at me, I promise I didn’t mean it! Just shoot me a message and I’m at your service. Thanks so much for stopping by! Cheers!